Through the Eyes of the Dog



Through the Eyes of theDog


Einstein stared into my soul the other night. He searched and searched until he was sure of something. Just what that something was I’m not sure of, but I do know he was communicating it intently through his gaze.

Einstein has wide, soil colored brown eyes set on the opposite sides of his boxer head. He is not an avid barker, although he growls softly sometimes to get you to play. Other than that, he relies on the power of his eyes to pull you in. He holds you in them and to them until you truly understand him. Then, as if under a spell you open the door or fill his bowl with food.

However, the other night I kept misinterpreting his gaze. I tried to get up, thinking he wanted more space on the couch, but that wasn’t it. More staring. His owner explained that for the most part he has cracked the code behind Einstein’s mesmerizing looks, although he was just as baffled as I was with Einstein’s constant eye connection on the couch. Then it came to us that maybe Einstein wanted to cuddle.

I was more than willing to fill the role of cuddler, so I slid back into a comfortable position. Einstein continued to sway back and forth near my feet, as if something was still not right. I realized the cushions next to me were in his way. Once I removed them, he jumped up, spun around, and finally plopped down leaning against one of my thighs. I laid my left hand on his hide and he promptly began snoring. 

So, that’s what he was trying to tell me! I was amazed at how profoundly he was sleeping. I felt his sonorous vibrations lulling me to sleep, too. It’s fascinating how much animals help us get in tune with our own natural vibes, in total frequency with what we need.

Sometimes I wish humans had dog eyes, or looked at the world through them. There is such a purity to them–nothing veiled nor hidden. Gosh, if we looked at each other that way relationships would be drastically different. It might heal souls because everything would appear so clear in the eyes of the other…


Photo: Melissa Mastromarchi

Text: Kristen Mastromarchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Zone of Lasts

Family Gratitiude