Resolutions


Resolutions

Ding, Dong, Ding, Dong: the new year's bells are chiming, and the old year's bells are clanging, already dissonant with new resolutions.

What do I hear? Well, last year's bells aren't tinkling and merry. I imagine them heavy and thick like those of many ancient church towers. They have booming voices and need a good push to start swinging. I am my own bell ringer, shoving off and riding the bells, not knowing when they will lose momentum and weigh too much to ring. 

What if I switch up the bells this year? I imagine them much smaller and round; not bells at all, really. The fascinating vibrations of Tibetan bowls has always soothed me. Actually, I think they're called "singing" bowls because each one truly does have a unique voice. When I hear a bowl sing I stop, enraptured by the sound. Or, maybe it would be more accurate to say I become infused with the reverberations and can do nothing else but listen.     

That's my resolution for the new year...to try to be in sync with a sound that raptures me. It seems lofty and abstract but that's exactly how I want to feel. Non of this bogged downess and too manyness: too many clothes, stuff I don't need, thoughts and worries to throw out...As Taylor Swift suggests, I want to shake all those things off.

It's like I want a new skin this year. My skin may be pink and raw, but I want it to tingle. The worst would be to hold onto gray skin that's already folded and too wrinkled in its ways.

May my skin and ears perk up for the sound of the new and head in that direction, not listening to the old sound of skin and cartilage which didn't want to bend or propagated hard edges.

May transformation lead to a more me me, and a more you you. And may we be infused with the courage to follow a more positive road in the new year.



                                                                                                                                                                              

Photo: 1, Jenna Hamra: https://www.pexels.com/photo/gold-bell-on-top-of-brown-table-754711/

2. <a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos">Free Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


Text: Kristen Mastromarchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Eyes of the Dog

Family Gratitiude

Beach Walk