The Sound Portal



The Sound Portal


I wake up to a squishy yet stuffy stillness. My almost bare legs wade through it, feeling the fuzziness of my robe swish against the non-noise, tickling its intrinsic harmony to come out. 

I am drawn to the transparency of the doors in the kitchen. There are a few smudges that form question marks in my mind...what if these doors form a barrier to the sound outside? Usually the racket from the road squeezes in through the cracks and thin glass layer but today there isn't even a peep from the other side. What if walking through the glass I could break through the sound barrier?

The hold of my hand turns the hard handle before I get a handle on my mental wanderings. Whoosh! The picoo, picoo from the pigeons, the smoothness of the balmy air seeping into the day, the constant drone of the bourdon hammering in the background...all at once, I am in the outside world, sucking it in.

After a few minutes, I decide to heat the kettle for tea, so I close out the outside with a screech of the portal. While the water is boiling, I sit down with myself in the living room and listen to the tick, tick of the clock. So, the dimension of sound has permeated here as well! The ticking tickles me even as the physicality of silence overfills the room. Maybe it is the hush of humidity I feel, the heaviness of a "quiet" molecule melded with the H2O of a drop.

I am lucky to be in this, to be wrapped up and clothed by the atmosphere. It forms a cloak on my skin, reminding me to listen and feel the day...


Photo: Skylar Kang, https://www.pexels.com/photo/wooden-table-with-ceramic-cup-with-saucer-6207314/

Text: Kristen Mastromarchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Eyes of the Dog

Family Gratitiude

Beach Walk