The Last Gift



The Last Gift 


I miss them. I miss them already.


They hesitated at the driveway's end, and my heart danced a bit. Would they turn around and walk back into the house?

A cell phone tone jarred my thought pattern. I could see the passenger in the car put her cell phone to her ear.

No, it was just them being conscientious and reminding us to close the garage door. It's one of the reasons I love them so much.

I remained at the window in my fuzzy, cotton-pink robe until my wide viewing angle narrowed too much to see them anymore.

They were gone.

Still, I stood there, contemplating the snow chunks as they stroked frosty highlights into the evergreens. The evergreen took on a subtle tone of winter and wanting to stay.

Truthfully, the them could be anyone I love that I will soon leave behind again. Am I ready for this?

I could stay all day at the picture window, pictures of the past scurrying by. I am mesmerised by the movement of the snow, like the flames of a fire. It is steady and comforting in a way and keeps falling and falling...


It is my last gift before departing. "Steady and strong," says the snow. "Steady and strong."



Photo: Erik Mclean: https://www.pexels.com/photo/heart-painted-on-snowy-car-in-winter-6177877/


Text: Kristen Mastromarchi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Eyes of the Dog

Family Gratitiude

Beach Walk