The Mystery Bag



The Mystery Bag

I am in the center of a bizarre bazaar: clothes for every season, old boxes and stockings from Christmas, dish towels with the price tags still on...an assortment of stuff that can't be sold or given away. 


The thing is, all these things mean something to me. They represent times of old or new memories to be told. For instance, there are recent purchases in preparation for our imminent move. We are lucky that many people are trying to help us, giving us items to begin a new life.


I open some suitcases I haven't seen for five months, their zippers teeth finally able to chatter once again. I am dying to hear the mysteries they are so eager to reveal. I stretch the zip as long as possible in order to savor the anticipation–aannnnddd..tada!  


I am flabbergasted. There is nothing "useful" in the smaller case. What is in there is the "important" stuff: books that mean something to me, my old blue blankie, and Yogurt. I sit back on the floor and start to laugh. After pining and picking, choosing and chomping my lip after the choosing this is what I sent overseas!


I wind up Yogurt's middle and listen to him tinkle out a melody as I brush the "fur" from his eyes. Yogurt is a bear that has been there for me most of my life, particularly when I was young and in the hospital. Of course he has to be part of my journey now!


You see, everyone deserves a tender teddy bear who follows one into adulthood: some small thing that brings you back to safety. And there should be no shame in hugging it at almost fifty as if you were five....


Photo: <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/alexas_fotos-686414/?utm_source=link-attribution&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=image&utm_content=3599680">Alexa</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com//?utm_source=link-attribution&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=image&utm_content=3599680">Pixabay</a>


Text: Kristen Mastromarchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Eyes of the Dog

Family Gratitiude

Beach Walk