50, the new 20


 

50, the new 20


50 is the new 20. I don't know how long it's been since this came about. The shift probably began in the 1990s when I was 20 in years. It could have been earlier. In any case, I take it for fact in Western society.

The other day I stopped dead in my tracks at this realization. My eyes had been following the horizon where the sky met with the sea. The sense of infinity rushed toward me on the tide but everything came to a standstill as an idea balanced like a surfer on a brain wave:

"I have a whole life ahead of me."

Not my life, not in my lifetime but anyone's lifetime. I mean, think of people in medieval times–they were mature by 20 if they even survived childhood. They were lucky to even reach 50. But now (thank goodness) we cringe at the idea of someone passing in their 70s as being too young (which they are!): "moving on" in their 50s is almost unthinkable. 

Wow. I have half of a long life still to live. It's as if life is stretching before me like the sea. It's a new era with new possibilities. I may not be able to have children (which is a sad thought), but this also liberates me to do so many things for other people or animals. I can give in different ways. I can also start again, challenge myself, begin a different job...Maybe yoga could twist into a purpose and make peace possible.

But it's not just that. 50 years is a lot, but sometimes it's all some people get. (Or less. For example, some famous composers like Mozart died before 35, not to mention modern killers of the young like gang wars and guns.) I have so much more time, so many things still to learn and to practice.

I am one of the lucky ones.


Photo and text: Kristen Mastromarchi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the Eyes of the Dog

Family Gratitiude

Beach Walk